Saturday, April 19, 2014

Shrinking Our Foot Print

I've posted about water harvesting, changing and updating water related fixtures to stop leaks, taking Navy showers, and reusing brown water in my yard. Well....what's it all add up to?



This is my water bill. If you look on the right hand side you'll see the water usage every month. 1 unit is equal to 1,000 gallons used. This past month we scored a 2, about 2,000 gallons. The month before 1,000 gallons. If you look back to about a year ago you can see the bill was 8 and 10,000 gallons of water. I bought the house in May of 2013. So in the last year, we've been able to reduce our water usage footprint by 1/10th to 1/5th of what the previous occupants were using.

Some months were higher, you'll see an uptick in November and December when family visited and stayed with us. But overall my son and I use about 1 to 3,000 gallons of water a month. Very small considering only two people lived in the same house and used about 10,000 gallons of water in one months time. And no, they weren't watering the lawn. The lawn was watered, but using the old well which isn't counted in to the water bill.

Water is about 25 dollars for every 1,000 gallons used. My bill this month was about 50 dollars. The previous people for a month using 10,000 gallons would have paid roughly 250 dollars. That's a car payment in water.

Some of my friends think I'm extreme. But I see it as taking a shorter shower over the course of a month can lead to an extra 250 dollars in your wallet. I can't ignore those kinds of savings. What would you do with an extra 250 a month? 

No comments:

Post a Comment