Sanibel Island's Lighthouse Beach
The next few months are going to be tight!! I'm taking a summer class and getting the house painted. So with a tight budget comes some creativity and I'm ready to push myself to stay local, have fun, and save money.
Here are a few things we plan on doing this summer. If you have any good ideas please share!
Captiva Island near sunset
1. Go to the Beach! We love Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, and Captiva islands! Pack lunch, drinks, and snacks. Cost $2 an hour parking.
2. Go to Lakes Park . They have a great sprinkler park for hot days plus a huge children's playground, bike and boat rentals, and a children's railroad. Invite friends. Cost $2 an hour parking.
Six Mile Cypress Slough
3. Go to Six Mile Cypress Slough. Bring binoculars and a camera! The slough has an elevated boardwalk with rails safe to walk through a cypress slough and see animals in nature like alligators, snakes, turtles, river otters, and more. It's free except to park and has a nature center for visitors that is exceptional for children. Cost $2 an hour parking.
4. Make cookies at home. I swear I'll let him crack an egg one day!
The melting stage in the second life of crayons
5. Make home made crayons. We haven't done this in a few years. I'm sure we have enough broken crayons to do this again. Tutorial to come!
6. Go to Sun Harvest Citrus. It's a neat store that sells Florida grown citrus and products from them. In another month when the heat goes up and the tourists go home this will be a perfect place to go. It will be our first time visiting.
7. Kayaking at Manatee Park! This is on the pricier side, at about 35 dollars per person and close enough to our house that we shouldn't need to eat out before or after. Plus - kayaking on a river with Manatees! So cool. We've never done this before so I'm very excited.
8. Golisano Children's Museum - getting tickets for free from the library! It's a 45 minute drive, so we'll make a day of it! This will be a new experience for us.
9. Party at home! Now that we have our own house it's time to have some friends over! Fun includes and inflatable water pool, water balloon toss, 3 legged race, egg relay race, chalk and bubbles. Cost food and drinks.