Sunday, March 30, 2014

The Power of Craigslist

My house is a little different than everyone else's... we dont have tv. Well, we dont have cable anyway, we do have tv's. They're the large clunky older ones and they date the space. When moving in to our house I knew the wobbly old wooden bench I had the tv on wasn't doing it for me anymore. I didn't have extra money to spend on furniture, but I kept my eyes peeled and a television hutch in the free section of Craigslist appealed to me. 

You have to have a little vision when seeing it for the first time. 


I bought a can of chalk board paint and got to it.



Cue my friends making fun of me for the Diet Coke cases used for edging material.


Spraying on the chalk board paint. It needs a few layers sometimes.
Pro tip - put something down in front of where you'll be spraying.


Mom tip - give your kid the camera. 
He gets some really good photos.


The finished piece. 


In it's final destination! What an upgrade! 

This was such a win. I paid less then 10 dollars for the paint, and nothing but my time and talent to transform an old tv hutch in to something a little more modern and useful again. Inside is a behemoth television, and underneath the tv shelf is storage space we use for toys and things. It's great to be able to shut the tv off and put it away. One day I'll upgrade to a flat screen, but for now I'm keeping what works and making the most of what we already have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment